Each year businesses miss the EEO-1 deadline and face potential penalties.
Confirm your report has been filed
Who must file?
- All employers with 100 or more employees, excluding state and local governments, school systems, institutions of higher education, Indian tribes and tax-exempt private membership clubs other than labor organizations.
- Employers with fewer than 100 employees if the company is owned or affiliated with another company and the entire enterprise employees a total of 100 or more employees.
- All federal contractors who have 50 or more employees and have a contract, subcontract or purchase order amounting to $50,000 or more
How do I file?
Single establishment employers (i.e., employers with only one physical location) can file either a paper form or can submit their report online.
Multi-establishment employers (i.e., employer doing business at more than one location) must complete online:
A report covering the headquarters office
A separate report for each location with 50 or more employees
A separate report for each location with fewer than 50 employees, or a location list that consolidates the data
To file or get more information about filing, go here: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/eeo1survey/
What information do I need to provide?
The number of employees by race, sex and job category. Remember to provide an opportunity for your employees to self-identify their race and ethnic information. You are required to attempt to allow employees to self-identify. This information should be kept confidential and separate from the employee file. If an employee declines to self-identify, employment records or observer identification may be used.
Make sure your forms and data collection is updated with the most current race and job categories.
Current Race/Ethnic categories:
- Hispanic or Latino
- White (Not Hispanic or Latino)
- Black or African American (Not Hispanic or Latino)
- Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander (Not Hispanic or Latino)
- Asian (Not Hispanic or Latino)
- American Indian or Alaska Native (Not Hispanic or Latino)
- Two or More Races (Not Hispanic or Latino
Current Job Categories:
- Executive/Senior Level Officials and Managers
- First/Mid-Level Officials and Managers
- Sales Workers
- Administrative Support Workers
- Craft Workers
- Laborers and Helpers
- Service Workers
For more detailed information about the categories, see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/eeo1survey/2007instructions.cfm
A job classification guide can be found here: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/eeo1survey/jobclassguide.cfm
his article was written by Lauren Sims, an eqHR Solutions Principal Consultant.